The first thing that pops into my mind when I hear the word “deception” is when a child disobeys their parents. The parents ask them to do something but the child turns around and does the complete opposite of what was asked. If we are deceived, what would our reaction be? Would we get angry, or even furious? Would we be annoyed? Make the situation personal. What if you had your best friend tell you that they were going to surprise you with a gift but when you are given the gift, inside the box was a small, valueless prize. This is how Satan works. This is how he gets us to believes the lies of this world.
Technology and the internet is a hot commodity in this day and age. Smartphones, tablets, and laptops offer quick access to anything we could possibly imagine from sports to books, to images, or to whatever we can type into the Google search bar. There are many items, websites, and videos that please God on the internet but there are also many of those types of things that disobey God. Pornography is desensitized in this modern age of technology.
Pornography is desensitized in this modern age of technology. Advertisements, movies, television shows, and pictures make it onto our computer screens with one click of a button. One click of a button can become a daily habit. Satan deceives us with the idea that viewing these types of videos are okay and they will do us no harm. Speaking from personal experience, this is not the case. In the case of addiction, pornography takes over all thoughts and control of the mind. It has the same exact effects that alcohol or drugs have on the body. Crazy to think, right? Many would say no because so many of us are desensitized to this idea. Many of us do not think anything of seeing a bikini add on tv or a commercial advertising shampoo, showing everything of the woman except what people want to see. Facts from Covenant Eyes (if you do not have this software on your computer, install it because I guarantee this will make you re-evaluate your internet habits) about pornography are quite shocking.
- The average age of exposure to pornography is 11 years of age.
- 70% of men ages 18-24 view porn every day, with 98% of this age group seeing porn at least once in their life.
- 56% of divorces involve pornographic websites
- THE LARGEST USERS OF PORN ARE 12-17 YEAR OLDS.
Why do people think this okay? The pleasures of this world are deceptive. We get caught up in the idea that we need and have to have that immediate gratification when in reality, this is actually messing up our brain chemistry, teaching us that this activity is okay. 1st Corinthians 6:18-19 lays out this for us by saying that ” our body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you” and that we need to “flee from sexual immorality”. Along with sexual immorality with others, we can still engage in sexual immorality when you are alone watching pornography. David writes in Psalm 36:1-3 that transgressions go deep into the heart. They deceive us by saying that sinning is okay, which leads us to have no fear of God.
Here are four things that my addiction to pornography has taught me about the character of God and what he can do with everyone, no matter the sins they have deep within their heart.
- God will forgive you. The first and foremost thing about this is that God is waiting to forgive us but we have to ask for it in order to be received. If we do not understand that what we did constitutes, that we need forgiveness then it will not be granted.
- God can heal you. God does amazing things. Things that seem impossible to you and I are possible with God. For me, I went from using pornography every single day to going 6 weeks without even looking at a single website, picture, or the like.
- God will lead you out of the darkness and guard your heart. God says in his word that there will not be any temptation too strong that we cannot overcome. He will be our strength and our guiding light to overcome these sins.
- God will reveal his truth to you. Phillipians 4 gives a great account as to what we need to fill our minds and hearts with. Adjectives like honorable, just, pure, and commendable encompass God’s character and reign as king. God will guide you on the correct path.
I encourage everyone to look into their own life and see what this stumbling block is in your life that holds you back from God. It could be pornography. It could be money, sex, or pride. Whatever it may be, give it up to God. Abandon yourselves to him. You will be amazed as to how God can work in your life.